BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 15, 2008

One of my Proudest Moments...

I had trouble sleeping last night...I just kept replaying the night in my head....
It was my graduation ceremony last night, and I finally gave the speech.
I was super nervous..and even when I first started, you could tell. But, it passed and I was able to get through it lol.
I felt great.
I got many comments from people I did not know after...
The head boss guy (not sure of his job title lol) even quoted things I said in my speech TWICE when he was giving his final closing remarks. That to me was amazing. To know I made that kind of impact..my words were remembered.
(there was a vancouver campus valedictorian...I was the Surrey one)
SO for him to quote ME...lol...I am proud.
I ran into him later and he thanked me...and said it was fantastic....And he knew my name :)
All important things, as I am still in the running for student of the year!!! I am glad I impressed last night.....
Did I mention they want to use my speech for marketing purposes? On their website, newletters, newpapers etc. they asked my permission.
I know...I am bragging LOL
But this night, meant so much to me...and it could not have gone better. I will never forget it. They gave me 2 dozen large white roses...which I am drying right away to keep in vase once they are dry....so remind me of the special night.
Brandon videotaped the speech...I watched it back...and did like what I heard...
A few nervous parts, but overall good :O)
Thank you all the people that supported me and believed in me.
And thank you for those who recognized my hard work! Alyson, the candle holder is beautiful and the words are perfect. I did dream, I did believe and now I am ready to inspire.
Little things like that, to show you thought of me...really mean alot......


Here is what I said.....

Good evening Stenberg college faculty, parents, family, friends and graduates of 2008.
Congratulations on your graduation and thank you for the honour of allowing me to be the valedictorian for the Surrey Campus.
When I was asked to prepare a speech, I sat down one morning to write down all the things I wanted to say and people I wanted to thank, and several hours later, I had a 8 page paper and a list of more than 50 names. I immediately revised it, as I was told the speech should be between five and ten minutes and I really did not think I could read that fast!
As I look around me today, I see many smiling faces. I think that perhaps our teachers may be smiling because they have finished teaching us. Our parents and significant others are smiling because of the sense of relief they are experiencing. By the way, this would be the most opportune time to ask for money! In addition, our fellow classmates are smiling because college has been about only three things: studying, fun, and sleep..., and we were only able to choose two of the above until now!
We have much to be thankful for this graduation night. Here at Stenberg College we have received a great education thanks to the outstanding administration and teachers. We are prepared to move on and to take on whatever challenges come next in our lives.
I believe that we have received a great gift, in being as prepared as we are, thanks to the well-designed courses offered at this college. At Stenberg, we have had a high degree of academic excellence and whether you intend to continue your education or not, you will benefit from what you learned here.
I know I speak on behalf of all the graduates here today when I say thank you to our teachers. They have given us lessons, led by example, and they have even managed to instil knowledge into, at times, reluctant students. Let us not forget the administrative staff, without which the school could not function. We appreciated the campus days, taking our suggestions for changes through our student council representatives and for following through with changes when possible. Our schooldays have been happy days and we will not forget them or you.
We can also be thankful for our families. This past year has presented us with many ups and downs and it is good to know that we had our families in our corner, supporting us along the way. I know your families are extremely proud of each and everyone of you.
Finally, we can be thankful for each other. We have helped each other, in some ways survive this past year and in other ways succeed during our time at Stenberg; I hope we will continue to be there for each other and to support each other in future endeavours. We did have fun as a class. Together we consumed the extra calories from fast food when we were stressed after a hard exam and were kind enough not to tell each other when we noticed we had gained a few extra pounds. And from that, we made true friends, many of whom we will keep for life. We learned a lot; some of which, I have to be honest, will forget. Yet, we also learned things that will stay with us for life.
We did it. The stress of the late night studying, endless reading and challenging exams are now behind us. As we sit here, hundreds of memories run through our minds and we reflect on our wonderful experiences over the past year. We are now standing on the threshold of entering into our chosen careers. From now on, no one will give us an "A" or an "F" for well or poorly done exams and evaluate our performance. We are free to go our own way, and it will be different for everyone.
Although their are many different programs graduating together here tonight, for once we sit here together and all look and feel the same. We all have our blue gowns, our hats and our tassels. We all feel pride and accomplishment. However, even though we may look the same now, our differences make us who we are. I believe each one of us is valuable and has something beneficial to contribute to society. Take what you have learned in your programs and incorporate it into your upcoming careers.
My advice to you is that you try to truly appreciate the journey you have been on, and continue on, because all the certificates, diplomas, high salary jobs and fancy cars in the world mean nothing if you don't realize what it takes to get there. You have heard it said many times, "The journey is half the reward... Give up the good life for a life that is good... The outcome is only worth the effort you put in." Recognize your efforts here today on your graduation.
To my fellow graduates: Always remember your achievements with pride. Through this year, you have set goals and met each challenge with enough determination to overcome it. Success is not measured by how well you fulfill the expectations of others, but by how you honestly live up to your own expectations.
We all have been true to ourselves in the pursuit of our dreams. We have earned this moment and the right to be proud of our accomplishments. When you leave here today, celebrate what you have achieved, but look forward to how you too can be the inspiration for others.
Lastly, I would like to end with a quote by Britta Fiksdal, which sums up how I feel nicely:
“Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what to want to be- because you only have one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do". Congratulations to all the graduating classes and best of luck in all your future endeavours. Thank you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your graduation!!!
That was a great speech!

I saw a few pictures of your grad ceremony on Joanna Canosa's facebook. Looks like you guys had a good time! I can't wait until we graduate now. We're almost there!

Stacey said...

Congratulations and what a wonderful speech! Just reading it was inspirational,I'm sure hearing it was even more so!