BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 30, 2009

Something called...

catheterization. I am sure most know what this is....and some have experienced it.
Somehow, I work I do one of two things to people. lol I make there blood pressure LOW or make them retain urine so they need a catheter.
Well, I don't really cause it, but it sure happens often.

The last few shifts I have worked this has been the case. Of course things like this get reported to the dr. (called a hospitalist) who comes to see all the patients in the unit. So back and forth I go talking to Dr. H. all day.
I kinda feel like a bother.....updating her, and asking what to do and stuff....
anyways, I said to Dr H. "soon enough you are going to see me coming and say, who has low BP or needs a catheter?"
And you know what she said back?
she said "you are never bothering me. All this tells me is that you are good at your job, and pay attention to details"
Wow. that made my day!
It is true. Things like people retaining urine, are things people sometimes miss. I have caught this 3 times lately :)

So here is a term for today....

In urinary catheterization, a plastic tube known as a urinary catheter (such as a Foley) is inserted into a patient's bladder via their urethra (where you pee out of lol ;) ). A balloon located at the end of the catheter is usually inflated with sterile water to prevent the catheter from slipping out once it has reached the bladder.

I figure I may as well add this one, as it's how I determine if someone is retaining urine.

BladderScan instrument uses V-mode ultrasound technology to create a three-dimensional image of the bladder and calculate volume based on this image. . A microprocessor within the instrument automatically calculates and displays bladder volume; the operator simply applies ultrasound coupling medium (ultrasonic gel), aims the scanhead, and initiates the scan. Noninvasive bladder volume measurement via the V-mode BladderScan is quick, easy, and very specific for determining elevated PVR. (PVR measures what is left in the bladder after a patient attempts to empty the bladder)

We have a bladder scan on the unit, and we use it....it is fun :)

So there is my lesson today....not a very fun one for the person who needs the catheter, but it's necessary.

Oh, and if you had close to litre of urine in YOUR bladder, that you could not empty, would you not want relief? ;)

1 comments:

Smiley Eyes Photography said...

Very interesting indeed!