BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Sad day

My resident passed away. He was 98 and lead a great life.
I was there just before he passed.
I saw him right before...it was hard for me.
I changed his wound dressing
And then he was gone.

I did post mortem care.
I had to put him in the bag, and put a tag on his toe.
I had to bring him to the morgue.
I had to see the other bodies
I had to smell a smell that I will never forget.

I dont know how I feel
I want to cry
I need to be strong
I am so very tired and my head is pounding
I pray for his sister and son during this sad time
I am happy I met him and cared for him for 2 weeks.
I made a difference during his last 2 weeks.
I can be happy about that.
I am proud to be a nurse

2 comments:

Alyson said...

that's just it. People die. an how wonderful that you were able to be there for him and give him the care and dignity he deserved. I'm proud of you for that.

Watching someone die is never easy and I hope you never get used to it. But how wonderful to be there with them and knowing you made a difference in their life.

Unknown said...

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that you're sad. I'm glad that you were able to help him through the last phase of his life.

My resident passed during the last practicum, and I helped him through as much as I could. I even bought my ipod in for him with the music he loved on it and let him listen to it.

He died 15 minutes after I left work. :(

The next morning, one of the ornaments from his room was out in the common area and it made me sad to see it.

I hope that the rest of your practicum is going well.